Friday, June 28, 2013

Infections

“But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.” 
~Galatians 3:22

I am still dealing with an infection in my toe from a dirty piece of wood that entered my foot while helping with  tornado cleanup in Oklahoma.  The wood was apparently  infested with  some kind of resistant  bacteria.   I’m on a second round of antibiotics and walking with a slight limp, inhibited from doing good things I’d like to be doing.

I am reminded of an experience when we served in Irian Jaya.   An Irianese man was carried by his friends to the clinic because a rival tribe had shot a wooden arrow into him while he was gardening.  The missionary nurse patched him up and provided medicine with specific instructions on how to care for the wound.  Those instructions were not followed, an infection spread, and the man died. 

Sad story.  I’m following instructions and taking my meds, the strongest antibiotic they could give me.

I remember my life before Jesus.  I was infected with the deadly resistant bacteria of what the Bible calls sin.  The only antidote and antibiotic powerful enough to deal with sin is the cross of Jesus Christ.    I was a crippled prisoner who now celebrates the promised freedom through healing faith provided in Him.  Far from perfect but continuing to receive the powerful treatment of forgiveness and new life.

Sin causes serious limping, prevents us from doing that which is genuinely good, and brings death.  Good news----the Bible provides life-giving instructions and powerful solutions.   Trusting in Jesus is the only remedy for the deadly infection that spreads when a person walks without God.

Father,  help those on the deadly path of an infected life to find the cure that only Christ can bring through faith.  

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.”

~1 John 1:9-10

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for using your struggle as encouragement for others, Steve. Hoping and praying that the worst is behind you!!!

    ReplyDelete